Ten things I would like to see this off-season/moving forward
GBMW Readers: Ten things I want to see in the off-season which means moving forward what happens and how does JH figure this mess out right now because it all stops at his feet. He is in charge of this program, he is the face of the program, and he has most fans support leading this program going forward. Again some of these things won’t improve the team, but will make me feel better and maybe others.
1) Do nothing in the off-season. No trips, no big sporting events, no social media rants, etc… Tell the players to stay of social media when dealing with fans or talking about Michigan football, etc… if they want to talk with friends, about social issues, or other issues no problem, but no reason to talk with fans or other type of fans. Same thing for the coaches, especially JH … want to talk about social things go for it, but leave football issues or other coaches alone. If somebody makes a snide remark let it roll down your back, let it eat at you and use that to fuel you to get better in the off-season, spring ball, fall camp, and yes the season.
Stay under radar for a off-season so we aren’t crowned champs of the off-season once again. Let the players go to classes being student-athletes, work with the S&C coaches and the coaches get together and figure out what the he** is going on, how to fix it, and decide on what is best for the program going forward.
All starts with JH, but getting everybody on board makes it a easier process as well especially when you have assistant coaches, analyst, administrators, interns, GA’s, recruiting personnel, player personnel, etc… get on the same page. Heck for the spring trip don’t even bring it up or even mention it from here on out. No reason to have a PC and talk about out unless you just tell the media we are still deciding on what to do. I am sure we will have a PC for the new coaches once they get here, but after that go back underground and get to work. No reason to see JH again until signing day PC, or when spring football is about ready to start.
2) Go back through every single game (every coach/administrator/analyst) and see what works and what didn’t. Have the entire staff watch film and self scout Michigan to see what other teams picked up on knowing what type of plays were coming because of formation, what hash they are on, player personnel, down & distance, etc…
3) Get the players to work with the new S&C program and change certain things with the program like nutrition and being more about what the players are eating, taking for supplements, and getting their bodies right. Think this is one area that Michigan still has been lacking, but believe this new S&C coach will help turn that around if he is allowed. I believe this is where the toughness mindset must be started/created and go off of that point. Get rid of the high mentality and get lunch pails to get back to work type of mindset.
4) Make recruiting a priority once again or should say the most important thing that a coach does at a college program. Having NFL coaches don’t realize how much the college game is based on recruiting and need to get that hunger back to recruiting every single day and not just allowing the recruiting personnel to handle most of the load. Each coach needs to recruit, but especially every single assistant coach with a position. (IMO) the head coach and the OC/DC if they aren’t recruiting as heavily are the closer of the coaching staff for recruiting or the guys that should be helping with the big-time/elite level recruits.
5) Get in-state and Ohio a bigger priority. NOW I am not saying not recruit other areas. What I am saying I realize that a lot of the players/recruit are going to be coming from elsewhere, but at least make those programs in Ohio and in-state feel wanted or needed. Allow high school coaches access to the program once again, get out and support the local high school programs, invite them to camps, clinics, practices, or even in the off-season have a weekend where you bring in coaches and just shoot the sh**, get ideas to each other and also ask them what they want from Michigan, what help do they need to feel important again, or that their players will be targets if they are good enough. Make them at least feel like a priority and not worry about satellite camps, vacation trips with the players, etc…
Things that don’t mean a da** thing, but will make me feel better and probably some others as well. Again most of these things won’t win a football game, make us better, or even
6) JH get out of the Bo era and put away the corded headset and go back to what you had at Stanford and 49ers with a wireless headset. Time to get back to your program and not trying to honor BO somehow. Honoring him by losing football games isn’t a good look and either is the only coach in the NFL or college football with a cord still on the sidelines.
7) Get regular glasses and get rid of the Woody frames. I know he has several different types and kinds, but seems like he always wears the “Woody” ones for games, PC’s, etc…
8) Put the “M” back on the pants on the thigh area. Never understood why it came off. If we can have a big Jordan brand on the thigh area we can have the “M” on the other side as well. Honestly don’t really like the away uniforms with the stripes on them, but realize some do. I personally would rather see all white pants and white jersey (plain look–like home uniforms) if we stick with the white look. Personally would like to see them go back to the maize pants for away uniform along with keeping the maize jersey as well once a year. The only issue I had with the maize jersey after seeing it for games was the big blue v-neck thought they should of had that maize as well.
9) Go back to the glossy helmet and make the helmet stand out and glisten in the night lights. Heck put metal flake back in the helmet as well like they had for the first night game at home where it really sparkled.
10) Get rid of the submarine talk for fall camp and just get back to work. No reason to label every little thing in our program or make it like we are going to some secluded place to practice. Also how about we make the players less active with the media along with the other coaches. Really like how Saban does the media by making him the voice of the program and him being the one that you hear from even though in most cases you don’t get anything from it. Understand after games the media would like to hear from certain players, but make it brief and make it only 2-3 players speaking for the team.
11) *** BONUS *** … and like CoachBT I can never stop at the exact number either. The most important thing get better every single day. Quit talking about getting better each day, each week, etc… as our “brand” or should say the Nike brand as of now which the Jordan brand is part of use to say “Just Do It” or like most fans want “Just Show Me” instead of talking about it.
Show me when we go to Notre Dame because that is when it matters and counts!