Impressions Notre Dame
1. As stated earlier, watched the game three times. Purposely waited until enough time passed that I could be objective and not let my anger be the motivating factor.
2. Biggest issue that stood out to me was Notre Dame’s speed advantage. Especially at the skill positions and overhangs on defense.
3. Michigan lost because they made way too many stupid mistakes.
4. Penalties and turnovers cost Michigan 10 points minimum and missed field goal three more.
5. Notre Dame won the game because they used their speed advantage to generate big plays.
6. Crazy part, while watching the game it seemed like Notre Dame out gained Michigan by a lot. Michigan actually gained more yards then Notre Dame.
7. That is the difference when you have a dynamic, explosive offense vs. a slow methodical one.
8. Lets talk defense first. Captain obvious time and I promise this is the only time I will mention it. Mo Hurst is missed dearly.
9. Rashan Gary and Chase Winovich will not be as effective if defensive tackles don’t start having an impact.
10. There was zero inside push or penetration unless Michigan blitzed.
11. Defense also has to do a better job setting the edge, Notre Dame broke contain too many times.
12. Michigan has to improve against read option.
13. For the record, have never been a fan of how they defend the scheme.
14. Good news, I thought the corners played a solid game.
15. Also thought Gary, Winovich, minus the terrible penalty, and Devin Bush were very good.
16. Some are going to disagree on Gary, but he (IMO) is doing a great job playing within the defensive scheme. Strong side defensive end is a rock position and he plays it well.
17. Another huge Notre Dame advantage, they tackled very well in space.
18 Offense, Shea Patterson was a big improvement over last season.
19. That said, he made too many mistakes in a big game.
20. Old coaching axiom, sometimes the ball you throw away is your biggest throw. He cannot take so many sacks that he had chances to throw away.
21. I love Karan Higdon’s heart and effort, but there were 6 or 7 times if he had that extra gear he would of made a huge play.
22. Chris Evans needs to be more involved in the passing game. Put him int he backfield and motion into mismatch situations.
23. All the tackle complaints were justified, but interior blocking was no prize either.
24. In fact, a few of the biggest misses were inside.
25. Back to defense, biggest difference in second half. Michigan was light years better on third down.
26. Was nice to see Michigan use some different sets, including empty bunch with WR’s instead of tight ends.
27. Captain obvious again, some of the worse clock management I have seen in major college football. They cost themselves over a minute in crunch time.
28. Special teams were a wash, Touchdown return was great. Missed field goal a killer.
29. Red zone offense was also a disappointment. Especially with veteran Quarterback.
30. Tight blocking is still an issue. Multiple times they were unable to block overhangs and it hurt.
31. Interesting play sequencing at times. Passing on second and short, or when in red zone was nice to see, But execution was poor.
32. That,s it for week 1. Good news, there plenty of room for improvement and some of the issues are easily correctable.
32a. And yes some are going to an issue all season. Go Blue!