1. I did things a bit different this week. So here we go.
2. I hate to agree with Matt Millen, absolutely kills me. But the targeting call against Khaleke Hudson was complete Bull SH*T! He turned to avoid the hit.
3. Sad part is he was playing his best game of the season and has sit first half against Nebraska.
4. For all the offense issues, it’s defense that has me concerned most.
5. SMU exposed a few fundamental flaws and adjusting to those flaws has not been a strength.
6. Mobile Quarterback once again gives Michigan defense fits.
7. Defense needs to limit some of those pass interference calls.
8. Touchdown #2 probably does not happen without the penalties.
9. Devin Bush is Michigan’s best middle linebacker since David Harris.
10. Chase Winovich played his best game in a Michigan uniform.
11. Biggest improvement, he played with discipline and outstanding gap integrity. Also took proper angles.
12. Rashan Gary was also very good. His discipline is unbelievable.
13. I still don’t understand why Michigan gives up inside leverage on the quick slants vs #2.
14. Talk about good news, bad news. Check out Josh Metellus.
15. I was pleasantly surprised with defensive tackle play. Bryan Mone played his best game and others had impact also.
16. Give SMU props for half-time adjustments. Changed Quarterbacks, went to shot passing game, including picks and rubs, and hurt Michigan with read option.
17. Special teams were solid. Even Donovan Peoples-Jones was improved.
18. Ok offense, I looked at percentages, Michigan was 66% run vs 33% pass on first down.
19. Michigan 62.5% run and 37.5% pass on second down.
20. They were 56% run and 44% pass on third down.
21. Ended up 60% run vs 40% pass. Would personally like to see that flipped.
22. Michigan was 3 for 3 on 4th down.
23. Contrary to what some thought, very little difference between half’s with percentages.
24. Michigan’s pass protection was improved. SMU did give Michigan issues with overload blitz again.
25. SMU gave Michigan fits with angle and slant fronts mixed with run stop blitzes.
26. My biggest issue with Michigan’s offense. They did not attack the entire field.
27. Running game in particular was A and B gap attack.
28. To the point I attempted a hit chart and ran out of space on two inside gaps.
29. Why in the world did Chris Evans turn his back when trying to score in red zone offense?
30. DPJ looked smoother this week, was still a bit stiff.
31. Somebody on staff needs props, whomever ID the the open seam to #2, usually Zach Gentry, gets a gold star.
32. Offense needs a healthy Karan Higdon badly.
33. That’s it for week #3. Until next week. Go Blue!