Michigan Football: Week 3 Thoughts
2. It is not that UM is 3-0, or even that they are dominating that is impressing me.
3. It is how they are playing. Limiting turnovers, limiting missed assignments, and being well prepped for each game that is most impressive.
4. Through week 3 this is a different program then what we have seen last few years.
4a. Further proof, watch how well UM 2nds and 3rds played. They were organized and knew what to do.
5. Biggest difference Saturday was team speed IMO.
6. Even on defense UM was able to crowd NIU receivers. They did not respect their team speed.
7. Only issues I had with the defense was gap integrity on 2nd series. Especially from the linebackers.
8. UM did a poor job of tackling on the edge after RBs were forced to bounce.
9. Only glaring missed assignment I saw was in 0 coverage, yes they played a little 0, was they left the flat wide open and it led to a FG.
10. I still wonder what we have not seen from the defense. Just have this feeling we have not seen the full playbook.
11. UM special teams were solid again.
12. Only one dumb penalty after game had already been decided.
13. Punt return made a huge difference in this game.
14. Henning gave the offense good field position multiple times.
15. Enjoy Dax Hill, unless something drastic happens, he is gone after the season.
16. UM broke tendencies and threw 7 times on 1st down.
17. Seemed to catch NIU off guard.
18. UM lead blockers and pullers are improving every week.
19. I like that used a TE at fullback in goal line situation.
20. Have to believe they have some sort of flood route or leak to TE/FB in the flat.
21. As I watch UM offense evolve I am less worried about vertical passing game.
22. It is becoming obvious UM philosophy is stretching defense horizontally. Which can be just as successful as vertical stretch.
22a. Will UM eventually need to have a competent vertical passing game, sure. For now establishing UMs basic philosophy is a smart move IMO.
23. UM accomplishes this with scheme, using reverses and wide counters.
24. They also use blocking schemes, moving defenses horizontally rather that getting vertical movement.
25. On the long pass that Cade and Johnson missed on. Personally blamed Johnson just as much
26. Seemed to have issues picking up the ball and slowed down briefly.
27. Blake Corum is a stud. He combines great skill with a super passion.
28. If #7 learns to pick up his feet watch out.
29. Haskins blocked much better this week.
30. I liked that UM showed confidence in linemen going for 3rd and 4 three times with the running game. And picking it up each time.
31. Might not be able to do this as season moves along, but it is good thing at this point.
32, That’s it for week 3. Until next week, GO BLUE.