Impressions: Middle Tennessee State
1. I give the same advice every year. Don’t get too excited about early season blowout, or depressed about early season underwhelming performance. This is a marathon, not a sprint.
2. Good news, first impression is this is Josh Gattis offense.
3. Michigan made the decision to shorten the second half.
4. Proof? Michigan ran 40 plays in first half with 63% being passes. They ran 33 in second half 67% being runs.
5. Best thing I saw on offense, play action passing game was very good.
6. Worst part of the offense, too many ball handling issues.
7. (IMO) for this team to be better than just good Shea Patterson has to step up and be better than just good.
8. Bad news, yesterday he was just OK. Held ball too long at times and threw behind receivers too often.
9. Interior line blocking was solid. Blocked inside zone especially well (IMO).
10. That is what set up play action passes in first half.
11. In first half Michigan did good job controlling tempo, not as well in second half.
12. I did not like #10 playing wide receiver (Dylan McCaffrey). He is good athlete, Michigan has some much better ones to utilize.
13. Michigan has two very good young running backs, Was especially impressed with blitz pick up.
14. Nick Eubanks still is not an accomplished blocker.
15. Ronnie Bell needs to let ball drop, come down, a bit. On his touchdown drop if he takes another stride ball is easier handle.
16. Going to start with bad on defense. Better get a handle on running quarterbacks.
17. Part of that is playing so much man … Most times don’t account for quarterback.
18. Also need to be better on pick or rub off patterns.
19. Michigan also needs to be better setting the edge, did improve as game went on.
20. Biggest need on defense, #97 Aidan Hutchinson needs to develop into top flight power edge rusher.
21. What I found interesting was Middle Tennessee State attacked Michigan with swing and screen passes.
22. (IMO) Michigan’s biggest strength at this time is speed and tackling in the secondary.
23. Middle Tennessee State never really tested Michigan interior run defense.
24. With Bush gone to the NFL and young defensive line front thought they would come at them. They did not.
25. I did like the overload blitz Michigan showed with Jordan Glasgow, bit different than last season.
26. I bet Lavert Hill would like to forget yesterday. Two terrible plays that cost touchdowns.
27. Vincent Gray has a chance to be special.
28. Want to see bit more of Josh Ross vs. power game before making judgement.
29. Aidan Hutchinson has a chance to be very good.
30. I know, no one cares about Bo, but I think his first game philosophy works here. We won the game, came out basically healthy, and have a ton to work on. PERFECT!
31. Until next week, Go Blue!