X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach's Corner: Recruiting, Jim Harbaugh and Staff

Posted at 4:00pm — 1/18/2015

There are lots of threads, blogs, web sites, and message boards with interest in how well Michigan’s new staff will recruit. I think all the buzz and excitement is fantastic. First time I felt this kind of / or much positive energy since 2006.

With recruiting, being from Michigan (That block “M” hat) will usually get you in the door or at least get you get a conversation. Michigan brand is not what it was twelve years ago, but it is still Michigan and things can turn around very fast.

Coach Jim Harbaugh’s resume and experience will also help get him a shot. All this is good, but will only get Michigan / Coach Harbaugh and staff so far. Eventually how successful the recruiting is will come down to two simple factors.

1) Winning football games: Players want to be part of some successful teams. They want to play on the big stages. They want to play for championships and in big bowl games. If you don’t think Ohio State and Michigan State will be using the fact they played in big games while Michigan stayed home we will just have to agree to disagree.

2) If you are going to attract the elite level, difference makers such players you have to start putting players in the league. That is what top players want, someone capable of getting them into the NFL. As I watched the NFL playoffs last couple of weekends I can only recall of two Michigan alums making a major contribution. Larry Foote, and his team last game and of course Tom Brady. How many top quarterback’s picked Michigan because they had history of putting them into the NFL?

Think of the top wide receivers Michigan attracted at the same time because they put wide receivers into the NFL. Same with offensive tackles back in the day. I remember just a few years ago Michigan players were all around the NFL, not any more.

Bottom Line: If Coach Jim Harbaugh and staff can get win and develop talent, their recruiting will succeed. If they don’t, Michigan will continue to struggle attracting elite level talent.

Written by GBMWolverine Message Board Staff — CoachBT and ErocWolverine

Go Blue — Wear Maize!

Twitter: @ErocWolverine
    Message Board: GBMW Message Board
    Site: GBMW Front Page
Working...
X